1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
6-8 curry leaves
2 onions, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp jaggery, grated
1/2 tsp salt
130 gm mixed sprouts (e.g. moong, matki, chana)
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1 tbsp fresh coconut, grated
For the paste
6-7 garlic cloves
3-4 green chillies, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted
30 gm fresh coconut, grated
1. First, grind the garlic, chillies, cumin seeds and grated coconut together to make a smooth paste. Set aside.
2. Heat a non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and fry until they crackle. Add the curry leaves and onions and roast, stirring continuously, until the onions turn light golden.
3. Mix in the prepared paste and cook on a medium heat for 3 – 4 minutes.
4. Add the turmeric and red chilli powder, goda masala, jaggery and salt, and stir well.
5. Add the sprouts to the pan, mix well, and then add enough water to cover just the mixture. Bring to the boil and cook on a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are cooked.
6. Garnish with the coriander leaves and coconut. Serve Hot.