1 cup or 200 gm brown sugar
1 cup or 240 ml water
1/4 cup or 60 gm butter (if using unsalted please add 1/4 tsp salt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup + 1 tbsp or 170 gm flour (Maida)
1 heaped tbsp OR 15 gm cocoa powder
1 tsp OR 5 gm baking soda
100 gm large black raisins (cleaned and seedless), chopped
75 gm prunes, chopped
50 gm normal small raisins, chopped
100 gm finely chopped mixed candied peels
1. Pre-heat oven at 160 degrees Celsius. Prep a 9 inch non-stick loaf pan with butter and a strip of baking paper at the bottom.
2. In a pan combine the raisins, prunes, sugar , butter and water. Bring it to a boil and let it boil slowly for 5-7 minutes.
3. Switch off the gas and add the vanilla extract and candied peels. Let the mixture cool completely. Add 2 slightly beaten eggs to this mixture.
4. Sift together the flour cocoa powder and baking soda.
5. Mix the Flour in the mixed fruit and pour it into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for around 45-55 minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool the cake for 10 minutes and de-mould. Serve warm or cold.