1 tbsp oil
3/4 cup chopped onions
2 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1/4 cups mushrooms , stem removed and sliced
1/4 cup broccoli florets
1/4 cups thinly sliced carrots
1/4 cup mixed coloured peppers chopped
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper powder
Salt to taste
4 cups vegetable stock (preferable home-made without salt)
1 cup soaked and half-cooked barley (jau)
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Slivered almonds and toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Soak the barley in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
2. Boil 3 to 4 cups of water with a pinch of salt, add the barley and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 mintues or till it is 50% cooked. Strain and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms, carrots and mixed peppers salt n pepper and sauté on a medium flame for another 5 to 7 minutes till the vegetables are slightly tender.
5. Add the vegetable stock, barley and 1 cup of water, mix well and simmer on a slow flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the barley is completely cooked. Add the broccoli florets in the last 5 minutes to keep them fresh n crunchy.
6. Remove from flame, add the parsley and lemon juice and mix well.
7. Garnish with slivered almonds and toasted pumpkin seeds.
8. Serve hot.