1 tbsp olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 onion, chopped
3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
300 gm cooked beetroot
2 oranges, juiced
1 litre water or home-made vegetable stock
salt to taste
1 tsp olive oil
100 gm cooked beetroot
1 tomato, finely chopped
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1. Heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, onions and sauté them lightly but not browned.
2. Add the tomatoes to the pan with the beetroot and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add the salt.
3. For the salsa combine the all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
4. Remove the soup from the heat, blend with a hand blender until completely smooth. Stir in the orange juice and a little more stock if too thick.
5. Serve the soup topped with the beetroot salsa.